Notices

A week ago today...

Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A week ago today...

I was completely hammered to the point where I couldn't walk, I embarrassed myself and my husband. My hangover rendered me useless for the next couple of days and pretty much ruined my family camping trip.

Today I am 1 week sober. I feel like crap. I have a horrid headache and fatigue. But I'm sober. And I am grateful.

I met with my doctor today. I was completely honest about my drinking, something I've never done before. It went really well. I'm going in Tuesday for lab work but he does not think I've done any serious damage to my body. My liver enzyme tests were normal in 2012 (while I was drinking) but he's going to run them again along with some other tests just to be sure.

I know it's going to get harder and harder to not want to drink. I don't have any cravings right now but I'm anticipating them. My husband is going to be working a lot over the next few weeks and being alone is a trigger for me. Any advice on how to get through the cravings? Cope with the loneliness?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your week sober!

There are lots of ways to deal with cravings. Urge surfing is one:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com (urge surfing)

I also found that mindfulness and AVRT were especially helpful. It truly does get better after a while, so hang in there!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the week CB.

I think support is so so important - you'll have SR of course - are you considering other support like AA or some other recovery group?

D
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your week. I second urge surfing-it really works
Old 08-10-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Well done CB. I craved chocolate for ages. I think eating some prior to my usual drinking time helped keep them at bay.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me remembering all the bad things alcohol did for me keeps me strong in remembering why sobriety is the right choice for me .

7 days

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am right there with you, however I am single so nobody to help me along the way. I have to stay busy. I know you feel about the massive hangover, embarrassing your spouse, I was there many many times. I was always the one that took it one step to far, or in that matter several steps. But I thought I was just fine until it was one too many. I am here if you want to talk!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cryingbudha, A week ago today... You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cryingbuddha77 View Post
I don't have any cravings right now but I'm anticipating them.
I found when I did this then my thoughts went there. For me, waiting for them was just as bad as having them.

It was double trouble. I used up so much energy waiting for them that when they did appear I did not have enough energy left to get passed them.

I am not saying not to look for tools and advice but take it one day at time. If the cravings come, deal with them then, not before hand. They may not be as bad as your mind will make them out to be or they may not come at all.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jules

To me sobriety has been trying the right mix of keeping busy but finding time to relax as well. Having a structured day, more of a schedule. Putting some commitments on the table - like if I plan to go meet a friend for lunch then I can't start drinking because then I wouldn't make it or if I did be drunk. I went to AA meetings a lot in the first couple months. Kept a journal of how I was feeling so I could see I do feel good and bad and feelings pass. Eating healthier and exercise also helps a lot.

To me isolation is probably one of the biggest triggers. I can be at home all day doing chores etc. but at a certain point I have to get out of the house and see other people and do something, sometimes being in my own head alone is the worst place for me.

I would suggest being really gentle with yourself. Its going to be hard at first and these emotions come up and for me I just wanted to drowned them. In the beginning keep it basic - if the one thing you do is stay sober all day and that's it then that is an accomplishment.

You can do this. Its so worth it. I can't express how much better life is without that dark cloud hanging over my head. Life still happens - I just deal with it differently now.