View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

I've been this way towards my husband in the past couple of years we've known one another. I am not sure if it was my drinking, or from being an ACOA. Or both. I am now sober, so we are working through it all. Things are much better. But this sharp tongue... I got it from my grandfather and mother... who were both alcoholics. He is a recovered alcoholic. She is dead from her alcoholism. Anyway, I certainly believe that verbal abuse can come from the alcoholic dysfunctional family, so I am going to have to take a different viewpoint that Kialua on this one.

Unfortunately, this is one of his issues that only he can correct. In the meantime, you can protect yourself by removing yourself from the argument, and from his physical presence if you can. My therapist suggested a 30 min time-out for us, and we've used it a couple of times. Other times, we didn't. But it can work. But YOU can simply not engage in conversation with him once he becomes abusive like this... and if he rants, just leave the room. That will let him know you will not take part in it.