Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sasha4

Hi

I'm in the UK too.

Probably a bit older as my going out days seems long gone, I'm 40 years old next birthday and I work full time and have a 3 year old.

I have over 534 days without a drink.

I was like you in that my friends all seemed to be sensible drinkers, in that they could have a few, remember the night, go onto coke if they wanted too.

Me, I would be blackout drunk, staggering around, not remember a thing, have to be looked after, and don't even think about things I did with people I did not even know the names of. Just awful. I cringe still now.

I don't know if I am an alcoholic. I just know that drinking makes me and people I love very unhappy. Especially me.

When I stopped I was never sure how long it was for. I could certainly never say it was going to be forever. I did it a day at a time.

If there was an social event or holiday coming up that was a few months or weeks a way, I just said myself with regards to if I was going to drink, 'I will cross that bridge when I come to it and decide then, but today I am not drinking'.

It worked too.

I don't know if I would say that I have lost friends since I got sober.
My life has changed a lot though.

There is not the same amount of going out to drinks or for a meal, but maybe that is because we have children.

I don't feel left out or the one that sticks out when we do go out because I am not drinking.
It is okay, but I do agree with Gaffo - drunken friends when you are sober are dull and repetitive! I can only spend so much time with them.

I also have lots of different friends now, through things I have done with my time to occupy myself when I am sober.

These are friends that are 100% happy to go visit Ikea on a saturday night and have a hot dog and an ice cream at the end as a treat!

But all in all, I like my life so much better now.
Yes it is calmer, but no more 'what did I do, what did I say'. And i would rather have that any day.

I don't spend time slumped in bed with a hangover either so I am more productive and busy.

I have no problem spending time on my way as well, as I like myself more.

I think that maybe you might loose a few friendships along the way.

But if this is important to you and you let friends know how important, the true one's will care more about seeing you and being friends then all getting drunk together.

They will also respect that pubs, clubs etc are probably not the most interesting place for you and be willing to rotate to a non drinking venue so you can spend time together.

I wish you the best xx