Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Totally agree with Lexi here - rewarding good behavior is just as exhausting as making excuses for bad behavior. I think it's enabling all around when it requires me to do that much WORK, and puts me in the uncomfortable position of constantly judging his behavior.

Even in recovery, RAH "asks" for this though - "did you see? I did that... that needed to be done & I did it... you told me to do it & I did it.... did you see???..." despite the fact that it was a normal chore he handled, he wanted/needed acknowledgement for doing good.

I can't keep up with patting him on the back every time he takes the garbage out or remembers to do something. I snapped once & he's backed off a bit.... I didn't mean to be so mean about it but I had just had one of "those" days... wasn't taking the time to filter every syllable & I snapped. I told him I would be willing to go to the Dollar Store & buy a bag of those fake gold medals we give the kids for every time he "done good"... that I didn't have the time or patience to continually praise him for doing the things he's supposed to be doing anyway, but if it made him feel better I'd leave a bag of them in the kitchen drawer that he could help himself to every time he felt that he needed a reward.

I probably went too far with that one, but maybe not. He hasn't been as greedy about this kind of attention since then & I think it gave him a visual representation of what he had been asking of me... which, I don't think, he realized OR intended.