View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Michael66
Recovering

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
That's not breaking anonymity. Breaking anonymity would be your sponsor telling someone OUTSIDE AA.
That's interesting NYCDoglvr.

The equivalent of 4th stepping for me is confession to a priest. I am glad that in my context the priest would not even mention to anyone I had been to confession, even to people of the same church. And my priest could not identify me (either explicitly or implicitly) to anyone else, even for advice. Of course people may see me go to confession, but I know that I can go and see him at any time in total confidence, even confidence about whether I've gone to confession (of course we also have the option of going to a priest we don't know and who can't see us if that is what we wish - it's the highest degree of anonymity possible, though I usually prefer face to face).

I am grateful to have access to such a high respect for anonymity. I too would worry about Sally's situation - whoever that person spoke to about Sally must also, on reflection, wonder what might be being said about him or her.