Thread: My fantasy girl
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Captain Morgan

Dont feel bad Bug, I don't understand what I'm saying half of the time either, haha. Actually the scipture I post has a special meaning to me that I sometimes forget other people probably won't perceive the same way. That doesn't make my perception right and others' wrong, but it just makes a misunderstanding more likely to happen. I started to explain what I meant by them, but not knowing how familiar you are with the Bible, I would probably confuse you, and possibly myself, even more trying to explain it to you. If you have any specific questions you want me to try to answer feel free to post them here or PM them to me.

The Bible is constantly being taken out of context, such as when I post it on this site, or when someone just picks it up and randomly chooses to read a small passage, but the actual context keeps buiding on itself as you read it. For me, the more I read, the more I understood, and the more I understood, the more interested I became, which would lead me to read more, and the cycle would repeat itself. For example, I may read something in the New Testament that gives context to and helps me understand something in the Old. What I understand about one passage may depend on what I understand about another.

This is why it's difficult or even impossible for me to interpret scripture for someone else, and sometimes it's even difficult for me to convey what I mean by it. In this way, the Bible is extremely complex; Christianity is not. After reading the Bible, I get one message repeated throughout, and summarized by Christ in these two commandments to his followers:

Matthew 22
35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

36Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38This is the first and great commandment.

39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets

To me this is the essense of Christianity, and anything taken away or added to it is vain religion.

Ecclesiastes was one of the first books of the Bible that really fascinated me and captured my interest. It is relativiely short, (12 short chapters) and it addresses something I can really relate to: the vanity and insatiety this life offers. Christ for the first time offered me true hope.

Matthew-John (the four snynoptic gospels), in my opinion, are a great place to start for anyone who is reading the Bible for the first time. But of course, there is no right or wrong place to begin.

I'm not sure if I cleared up any ambiguity or just made things worse. Let me know any time you want your head to spin from one of my scatterbrain explanations, haha.