View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nowinsituation

I have been in your shoes. It is not easy.

We tried marriage counseling. It is often stated here that marriage counseling is useless with an active alcoholic. I agree with that. And EVERY discussion my XAH and I had about his drinking got turned around to: #1 How bad his life is so he deserves to drink; #2 His drinking is not hurting anybody else, and #3 I drink, too; so how can I say he is an alcoholic..... and other ways that I was not perfect so how could I expect him to not drink.

He also made sure that everyone knew that "I" left "him"..... and played the pitiful victim role to perfection. I'm sorry to say that our oldest son has bought into that; and has cut me out of his life. That really hurts.

But, I couldn't stay and life like that.... Now almost 6 years after leaving I have no regrets.

I agree with the advice that leaving doesn't have to be permanent. You can separate for awhile, and watch from a distance. You absolutely can give him another chance to sober up. But, you don't have to be living with him while he does it.