View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DreamsofSerenity

Everytime I'd fight with my ex about his drinking (which is not recommended, BTW), he'd turn it all around to be about me and my shortcomings. A's are masters at this! They get you worrying about shortcomings you don't even have by taking tiny aspects of your character and blowing them all out of proportion. It is manipulation and a way of deflecting the attention away from their drinking. Don't fall for it.

My ex always got me by telling me I was the "most negative person on the planet." I am troubled by anxiety and very self critical so he had me really believing this was true. After quite a bit of space from his manipulation, I've realized I am not a negative person. If anything, I have taken the tragedies of my life and turned them into positive learning experiences. A's hit below the belt. They say anything to get you to back off their drinking.

I agree with Lexie that the chances of your AH quitting drinking without a program are slim. What I would expect, are better attempts from him at hiding the booze--I hope I am wrong. I also think you should move forward with a plan to reclaim a serene life.

I'm sorry you are going through this.