Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Legs21

25 and ready to be done with alcohol - forever.

I've toyed with the idea of sobriety for over a year now. I'm turning 25 this month, and now is the time.

A little about myself - I have an addictive personality. I didn't start drinking until I was 18, but when I drink, I drink a lot. It's like something goes off in my brain and I can't get enough. I've been drinking heavily at least 1-2 nights a week, something that I always said I'd "give up after college". I am not sure what being an alcoholic means to me, but I am DEFINITELY a problem drinker. I am self-medicating with it.

I've taken SSRI's since eating disorder treatment when I was in high school and don't intend to stop. I'm about to finish graduate school and I am a full time student, but am taking my registered dietitian exam in January. I'm a single girl living in Chicago and honestly, being sober is a little scary to me. Not drinking on dates, weddings, bachelorette parties, holidays makes me anxious. I know myself and I know that I am an all or nothing personality - moderation just isn't an option anymore.

I've never been to an AA meeting but am strongly considering it -- I live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Please share any wisdom with me, I am so excited to be here! Bonus points if you're a 20something in recovery that can relate to some of my struggles!