Notices

25 and ready to be done with alcohol - forever.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 and ready to be done with alcohol - forever.

I've toyed with the idea of sobriety for over a year now. I'm turning 25 this month, and now is the time.

A little about myself - I have an addictive personality. I didn't start drinking until I was 18, but when I drink, I drink a lot. It's like something goes off in my brain and I can't get enough. I've been drinking heavily at least 1-2 nights a week, something that I always said I'd "give up after college". I am not sure what being an alcoholic means to me, but I am DEFINITELY a problem drinker. I am self-medicating with it.

I've taken SSRI's since eating disorder treatment when I was in high school and don't intend to stop. I'm about to finish graduate school and I am a full time student, but am taking my registered dietitian exam in January. I'm a single girl living in Chicago and honestly, being sober is a little scary to me. Not drinking on dates, weddings, bachelorette parties, holidays makes me anxious. I know myself and I know that I am an all or nothing personality - moderation just isn't an option anymore.

I've never been to an AA meeting but am strongly considering it -- I live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Please share any wisdom with me, I am so excited to be here! Bonus points if you're a 20something in recovery that can relate to some of my struggles!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!!! I have an addictive personality as well. When I like something, I like it to death.

You are in good company here, just keep coming back!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome!! Im 30 something in recovery but can totally relate! The majority of my 20s was spent drinking socially a few nights a week and occasionally heavy to soften the blow from bad decisions that I had made. Now im 32 and trying to learn to function in everyday life without it.. This site has really helped me in the short time that I have used it! Hang in there and best of luck to you!!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Legs - you found a great place for support.

I was afraid to let go of it too. It was such a part of me. So I didn't even try to stop. As a result alcohol ran my life, especially as I got older. So much damage and misery. By the time I finally stopped I was brought to my knees - totally dependent on it and desperate to reclaim my life. That's when I found SR and no longer felt alone. I think trying AA meetings is a good idea - try anything that will help. We're glad you're here.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I quit drinking over three years ago and don't miss it one bit. I used to wonder what I'd do with my time if I didn't drink and now I know: I can do anything I want and do it better too.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I make up two 20 somethings so I must get double points?

Welcome to SR legs - you'll find a lot of wisdom and support here

D
Old 07-31-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR, Legs. Well done on making the decision to get sober in your twenties. When I was in my 20s, I toyed with the idea of getting sober to the point that I gave AA a call. But I never followed through on it. If I had, I'd have saved myself another 5+ years of my own personal prison, so what you're doing is really, really good. You have a great opportunity to spend the rest of your life, well, living.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

I'm twenty-something (the "something" is another twenty, though)

Jokes aside, after a few months you get used to not drinking and it becomes normal; it just takes some time to settle in. The number of times I even think about missing drinking is miniscule compared to the myriad instances of thinking how glad I am to be clearheaded, sober, not-hungover, flush with spending money, carrying less weight but able to lift more weight, relatively anxiety-free . . all kinds of good stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Legs, congratulations on your decision. I am in the Western Burbs of Chicago as well. There are lots of young people's AA meetings around. I am not young but I see them in the book. PM me if you want specifics. Good luck to you.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, LuLu! I have seen those meetings as well - and am going to my first one tomorrow!