View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thotful

Stay w/ Sponsor?

I was looking for advice on my sponsor (from Al-Anon - but she's also an alcoholic and an adult-child-of-an-alcoholic - just like me). I am a 35 year-old male, and my sponsor's in her 50s-60s. In the beginning, she canceled a few of our meetings (on two occasions, on the same day). Recently, she went out of town for about a month. I thought I was permitted to call her, but I only called twice that month. She did not return my calls. We've been meeting for about 4 months. I'm on step 4.

I recently saw her at an Al-Anon meeting. Her trip was to an international Al-Anon conference. She was excited about her work there and was indicating being completely engrossed in the conference. She asked if I wanted to meet, and I said that I had some work to do (I was being honest, I really did have a major project that day)

Should I cut her some slack? I'm not feeling very good about it and wondering about whether or not I should stay with her. I'm considering finding an AA sponsor (and a male) instead.