View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I found that I had let a lot of things slide when I was drinking. I allowed behavior that I shouldn't have and was generally pretty lax. I liked to describe it as easy-going, but really in my case, it was also a case of just being drunk and therefore ignoring behavior I would have otherwise effectively corrected. As a result, there was a great deal of frustration when I quit as I began to sort of learn to parent again in a different (more effective) way. There was quite a learning curve for all of us. There was a lot of "You never cared when we did this before" type stuff, so I to do quite a bit of redefining.

I'm a single mom, too. My kids are teenagers now, and it's challenging even in the absence of any addiction issues. But there is so much joy in being fully present for the good, the bad, and the ugly. Happiness doesn't necessarily mean everything is sorted out, it just means its ok if its not. You are doing great, butterfly! As the others have said, things will get better.