View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SomewhereElse

Thumbs up My 1st Al-anon meeting

I will be going back I want to thank you on this board...I would have never decided to go if it weren't for you.

It wasn't what I expected. I was very nervous going in, but it was a wonderful, accepting, welcoming group. They didn't even talk about alcohol very much. It was more of a group therapy session. I actually spoke for a few minutes and it felt good to get it out and tell people who were unbiased and could relate.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have social anxiety, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I feel that going to these meetings will help me deal with my anxiety as well as my husband's drinking. This is way more than I thought I would get out of it...and I've only been to one meeting.

I stayed for a little bit after the meeting and a few members hugged me and told me to come back and that they were glad I was there. I talked with one who told me about other meetings that are really great on different days in different towns.

I really needed this. I feel hopeful now. When I came home, my husband asked "What should I do now? Should I not drink in front of you?" I told him to just keep doing what he's doing. I don't want him to sneak. I told him that I know I can't control or change his drinking, so I decided to change the way I think about it. That's why I will keep going to Al-anon.