Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
This may not be directly related to alcoholism, but it is becoming a huge issue for me. Due to my drinking, my mental skills and work ethic plummeted over the last decade. I went from being a high functioning alcoholic to being a non-functioning alcoholic. For several years, I coasted from job to job based on my formerly good reputation eventually screwing over the last several employers through shoddy work performance (or non-performance). I now find myself in the position of having no recent job references. I am completely at a loss as to how to overcome this situation which is creating a while lot of "what's the point?" towards my sobriety.

Has anyone else ever gone through this? How did you make it through sober and how did you get back on track?
I went to school for MANY years to do what I did as a job. Through drinking and drugs, I lost it.

When I got sober, I focused on the fact that if I did not find contented sobriety, I would kill myself or end up in jail, so I embraced it as my #1 priority no matter what. The job worries had to be cast aside.

The career/job thing worked itself out. I really didn't have to put my hands on it much. I am now where I am needed and I love my job. (and it is TOTALLY different than my last career).

I heard that everything I put in front of my sobriety I will lose. This has been true for me 100% over the almost 20 years of me trying to get sober. (I was always trying to manage/fix job or marriage over sobriety and it failed EVERY time).