View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kcvalentine

Great question! And congratulations on 30 days! That's brilliant!

The first month is hard because you are going through a ton of changes on so many different levels. It's a lot to take on. But fear not, it gets so much better. By the second month I was starting to sleep again (until that point I was having awful involuntary muscle spasms every night) and my cravings went away . My horrible digestive issues were finally over (thank god!) and I started thinking clearly (and stopped taking everything personally). On a whim I took a yoga class during Month 3 and that opened everything up. I attended a few AA meetings and they were super cool but they aren't my thing. Instead I use a combination of yoga and mindfulness in my recovery. I also think the Year milestone is so important because you go through so many different experiences within the span of 365 days - birthdays, holidays, parties, events, work, ups and downs. Now I am almost to my second year milestone. My life has completely turned around. It's almost unrecognizable to the old days. I'm actually now a yoga instructor (this still sort of shocks me). I've lost about 30 pounds and I'm healthier than I have ever been. My anxiety is almost gone and my marriage is so fun. It's not all roses and things come up that throw me off balance sometimes, but I've grown up enough now that I am able to face life instead of running away. And I can honestly say that I don't miss drinking now and I am completely comfortable knowing that I will never drink again.

There are so many great days up ahead! Just hang in there a little longer. You are healing on a quantum scale right now. You are becoming what you were meant to be, and if you allow it your recovery can be a source of light to more than you can even imagine. Go YOU! You're awesome!

xo