Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

It wasn't drinking but drugs, and yeah...I lost a nursing career. I slid further into addiction he!! (NOT recommended). Was able to get a felony as a first offender, thus no felony on my record. My license shows "lasped" as the nursing folks and DEA (both of whom I was reported to) didn't follow through.

It's a loong time later, but I have a ton of good references from jobs I did here and there. I have a new degree and certification in another area of healthcare. I work as a caregiver for alzheimer's patients and though it's hard, nothing NEAR the money I made as an RN, I'm grateful for it and have made more contacts. I also volunteer for a job...more references.

I used to be terrified of explaining my nursing career. I was impatient that things didn't happen out a lot faster than I thought. Now I know that things have happened like they were supposed to.

Most people get back on track faster than I did (in recovery over 6 years), but I had to get over the shame to move forward, take baby steps at minimum wage jobs, to find my strength again.

You're not alone, and many people have gone through this only to find something better and appreciate recovery. Hang in there It really isn't the end of the world, it just feels like it for a while.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy