View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Johno1967

My sober date is the morning I woke up with my last hangover. I have had many sober dates. This 10 months is 9 months longer than the previous record.
I don't think keeping a tally is important and I used to celebrate mile stones (with a drink). No, I just take it one day at a time now and try to work the steps and put my sobriety at the top of my priorities.
Question Sober Marine. How is the corps with regard to your recovery? Do your mates back you? I was grunt once and trying to quit in the service was near impossible. I was an alcoholic by the time I got out. There was no support from the hierarchy and certainly none of my mates in my platoon were there to encourage sober living. Drinking and getting drunk was very much part of the culture. Used to drink till 3AM, roll call at 0500, parade at 0600 and sometimes go on a route march or straight into PT minging drunk and puking but finish it. *Shudder*. Mark of a man!
I basically ruined a promising career in the Army because of the booze and spent a fair amount of time in the nick for it. Busted down in rank, marched off the parade square in disgrace, beaten up a few times by Warrant Officers and Sergeants, you get the picture. Was fairly common in the 80's.
Would be interested to know if there are AA's in the states that cater for the serving personnel as well as veterans.
Good for you Mate. Marines are tough as nails. Have no doubt you will win this fight.