Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Originally Posted by Now1000 View Post
but I am really close to my mum and I'd feel like I'd be telling lies in a way and perhaps missing out on what could be valuable support?...
I too am very close with my mom...and she was the first person I told. I had no idea how much she had worried about be the day previous when I had got so drunk and she saw it. I only recently discovered that her and my dad went to the bar I had been at to see if I was there.

I didn't want to make a "thing" out of it. For whatever reason I was feeling fairly confident in my decision to stop drinking. I saw the look of worry in her eyes and I told her "mom, you can stop worrying about me now...those days are gone". I asked that she not tell anyone else about my decision. Don't know if she did..and I have only recently started talking about it to more family myself...as my confidence grows I guess.

I'm not fond of the term "recovering alcoholic"...I don't use it (not that I am not one) but I feel like it's too much information to people. It's like introducing the man in my life as "my lover"...lol..don't like that either..again, TMI... as it conjures up mental pictures or something. Somebody on this site coined the term "soberist". I like that one as it doesn't bring to mind my past..but instead my future..that I'm facing life head on. It feels positive. I want to be defined by my present..not my past.