View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

The AA Big Book tells us that we can't stay sober without making amends, and suggests that we make "direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others." "Others" includes the person making amends.

For many people on the planet, making amends is quite routine; a part of everyday living, with or without drinking problems, just as is saying "please" and "thank you." That we alcoholics often need to engage in the process in a more or less formal way -- including planning and preparation for the event -- speaks to the frequency and the amount of pain and suffering we inflict on others.

Without the help of a sponsor or someone's judgment we trust, it's an easy thing to avoid making amends when we anticipate a negative or unwanted response from someone. Running away from this process is a natural response for many of us, even though history has demonstrated that running rarely serves us well. As others have suggested, working through unwanted and uncomfortable feelings in this process is an important opportunity for growth, including those who don't have a drinking problem, and generally brings us to a better place. The more we avoid doing such things, the less likely are we to grow as people. It's just the way things are.

You might be amazed at how many people are willing to forgive you. In my experience, most people were relieved to know that I was no longer killing myself and that I took responsibility for my behaviors. Making amends is more about you facing up to and taking ownership of your actions, and much less about making others feel better about you.