Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Now1000

Red face D3 after a harsh reality check. What to tell to family and friends, though?...

Hi all, I'm totally new to this, having made my big decision of abstinence just 3 days ago! This followed some crazy home binges in the evening and regular, increasing drinking overall for the past 5 weeks. I just don't want this anymore, it makes me feel so guilty, weak and rubbish (though I don't actually get hungovers!). Moderation... I tried so many times but when I have 1, I want 2,3,4, etc. I can't stop myself to the point we decided to not have any alcohol in the house, though with a lot of party leftovers at ours recently, I really went for it this last month and felt terrible for it.

I've really had enough and, reading the posts here, I realise the answer is probably to cut it out from my life entirely. My husband understands and is really supportive, I have great friends, a fab career and 3 gorgeous kids, so hopefully I will find lots of opportunities to distract myself from the cravings (I get so cranky and edgy from 5pm) and focus on the natural excitement that life provides?

My problem is that I am going to my parents' house for a week's holiday with the kids next month and I normally drink quite a lot there for different reasons... This time I won't and they will ask me why (or think I'm pregnant?!). My mum will probably guess actually, but I feel embarrassed and also I don't want her to worry about me or think I've been hiding my problems from her for a while. That would probably hurt her feelings too. My dad may think I'm being a drama queen or else :-(

Should I be honest or try and avoid the subject and buy time until it's not so much a burning subject?...

CONFUSED AND NERVOUS ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW - THANKS FOR YOU HELP AND EXPERIENCE!