View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rosiepetal

Feeling codependent again

So my XH returned from overseas & is now living in my hometown. He wants to have the children for the entire school holidays. I have to work them anyway so it is fine with me & the kids want to go.
Here's the thing.
After having the kids 24/7 for the past 21/2 years I thought that 2 weeks off kids would be a great opportunity to spend some quality time with RABF as we have had very little together due to the situation.
I was excited & happy that this break was finally happening.
Then something came up.
RABF lives with his elderly mother & she has invited family members to stay over the holidays. She is 85. This now means that RABF will have to spend time with family as she can't be expected to do it.
I felt really disappointed that I'd finally got this break with him only to have it taken away.
I reacted to this.
The reality is I will still get to have time with him but I have been feeling really low at the change of plans.
We talked about it tonight & he called me a martyr.
That's when I realised my co-dependency had kicked in.
When he left I had a soak in the bath & started to read codependency no more again.
My question is this:
Was it ok for me to feel disappointed?
Was my co-dependency putting expectations on my relationship that when I was finally free of kids my RABF would go out of his way to spend this quality time with me?
Are my expectations too high?
Did the disappointment hurl me back to co-dependency?
I felt like I couldn't pull myself out of how I felt.
I feel a little better now after re-reading some of the book.
How can I put this behind me & go on to spend some time with RABF without feeling let down?
Input appreciated.