View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by DS777 View Post
Hi all, I'm still here, still ok and still sober which I'm so happy about.

I am getting very anxious about this Saturday night. I'm going to a big 40th birthday party, which as you can imagine is going to involve alot of people partying and drinking. I cannot get out of going as it's family and besides, I want to go. I am positively determined not to drink but I've never gone to anything like this and not had alcohol. What am I like at a party sober? I have absolutely no idea and I'm nervous as hell! I mean, am I boring, fun, interesting, dull, socially inept or the life and soul of the party? Should I care what others think of me? Arrghhh, panic, panic!

I could really do with some good advice about what to I say if I get offered drinks and I turn them down in favour of a soft drink and how to get through something like this without having a freak out? I don't want to talk about my private life or why I'm not drinking, not at this stage anyway and certainly not at a 40th birthday bash.

Also, can anyone give me any good tips on how to stay true and focussed if at any time during the evening I start thinking, "surely one won't hurt"!!!

Saturday night will be my biggest test so far, without a doubt. I don't want to let myself down and need something to keep my mind strong and zoned in on if I start feeling wobbly.

I'd really appreciate all and any support right now.

Thank you all.
You may be shocked at just how interesting people will find you now that you are not drinking. It takes time to adjust to not drinking at functions, but you can do it and will feel thrilled at passing this milestone. Be yourself, have fun, and dont 2nd guess yourself.