View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Notmyrealname

I would probably not go, but if it was me and I was going to go, I would make sure to eat a large, satisfying meal of something pretty decadent beforehand, like a slab of ribs and some sides, or a double-cheeseburger with fries, and then I'd have rich, scrumptious dessert after that, and I would bring candy, and I would leave the party pretty early. My thinking is that you're much less likely to succumb to temptation of alcohol if you're stuffed and feeling the satiety of ingesting a bunch of sugar, dairy, fats and protein. The thing you'll be happiest to drink at that point is water, just to help all that stuff digest.

I have a list of the terrible things my drinking has wrought upon my life and family, I keep it in my wallet in hopes that if I'm about to lose the "I can have just one, it'll be okay" internal dialogue, my list will remind me of why I got sober in the first place and why drinking is simply no longer an option. Haven't had to go to the list yet, but what the hell, not much trouble to write up a list and put it in my wallet and it might help.