View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DS777

Advice please anyone?

Hi all, I'm still here, still ok and still sober which I'm so happy about.

I am getting very anxious about this Saturday night. I'm going to a big 40th birthday party, which as you can imagine is going to involve alot of people partying and drinking. I cannot get out of going as it's family and besides, I want to go. I am positively determined not to drink but I've never gone to anything like this and not had alcohol. What am I like at a party sober? I have absolutely no idea and I'm nervous as hell! I mean, am I boring, fun, interesting, dull, socially inept or the life and soul of the party? Should I care what others think of me? Arrghhh, panic, panic!

I could really do with some good advice about what to I say if I get offered drinks and I turn them down in favour of a soft drink and how to get through something like this without having a freak out? I don't want to talk about my private life or why I'm not drinking, not at this stage anyway and certainly not at a 40th birthday bash.

Also, can anyone give me any good tips on how to stay true and focussed if at any time during the evening I start thinking, "surely one won't hurt"!!!

Saturday night will be my biggest test so far, without a doubt. I don't want to let myself down and need something to keep my mind strong and zoned in on if I start feeling wobbly.

I'd really appreciate all and any support right now.

Thank you all.