Thread: Is it okay???
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FireSprite

I think this is specific to each individual in recovery & what their triggers & comfort levels are.

My RAH has always maintained that his sobriety can't depend on my actions or abstinence, and that having it in the home is no more difficult than driving by the store that sells it. He feels that it's available everywhere & since he did the majority of his secret drinking out of the home, he's not as triggered as others may be just from having alcohol in the home. He said he has a million chances to stop at any gas station, store or bar during any given day so it has to come down to his choices, his control - no matter what.

I do still get together with my friends & have drinks, they even come to Girls Nites In at my house & often spend the night to avoid driving home. I rarely drink at home unless a friend is visiting & if I do it's 1-2 max. If the girls are scheduled to come over, RAH plans to attend multiple meetings that night - we've found a balance that works for us, but we're also 2 years into recovery. Early recovery is more tenuous & triggers are just starting to be truly identified.