Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
TameTheBeast

Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
Man, speaking of Rational Recovery, what you're pointing out is such a bloody brilliant example of 'beast talk' being played out, because you're absolutely right... there is no such thing as boredom in 2013. I mean, of course there is, but hopefully you get the point.

Anyone capable of posting on this forum right now has it within their immediate power to learn a language, write a journal, connect with old friends, argue politics, watch endless hours of movies, TV, youtube free dance lessons, e.t.c... Seriously, the possibilities to keep occupied and stimulated are endless already - without even moving a muscle.

Thing is; it's actually not 'boredom' that gets us owly and frustrated at the lack of stimuli. Not at all. It is absolutely 'beast talk'. That clown is making his best effort to convince us that nothing at all, other than booze, is worth the tiniest effort - so why bother?

The next evolution in this particular beast attack strategy, for me, was that if I found something to cure an impending 'boredom' crisis, he would merely step up his game a notch: "OK so you found something to do, but seriously, wouldn't it be 100 x cooler if you had a few drinks while you're enjoying yourself?"

Insidious sack of crap.

The 'boredom' thing, which I'd say almost everyone can get deeply caught up in at some point during the first 6 months to a year, is nothing more than the beast doing a bad impression and exerting manipulation to try and take back control of our rational brains.

Herein is where I really started feeling the whole Rational Recovery vibe... because 'boredom' was always my instant go-to relapse excuse. But once AVRT gave me ability to recognize this obvious fail and objectify it? That boredom ploy lost ALL it's power, instantly. When my brain said "I'm bored" I knew immediately to stop listening to the inside of my head, stop sulking, get up off my a$$, and do something. Could almost hear my AV deflating when, instead of getting a bottle, I sat down to the drum kit, went rowing, or called a friend.

Just thought I'd share that... please excuse if I'm off track or upsetting the flow somehow.
Thanks, I can relate a lot!