Thread: Is it okay???
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome. I've been in two marriages to alcoholics who were in recovery (one made it, one did not) and I'm sober almost five years, myself. I think that regardless of what the alcoholic says, in early recovery it is considerate and supportive not to keep alcohol in the house, and not to drink in front of them. This isn't forever, necessarily, but it is usually helpful at least for the first six months to a year. After that you can both reassess the comfort level.

I see nothing wrong with going out for a drink or two after work with friends. HOWEVER, I would suggest brushing your teeth so you don't greet him with a boozy kiss.

My first husband, now sober over 33 years, often says how much he appreciated my support by not drinking around him when he was newly sober. We kept all alcohol out of the house for several years, though he eventually didn't mind if I bought something for the holidays as long as it was gone afterward, so it wasn't sitting around. After a year or so, he didn't mind my having a drink while in his company. It was a pretty easy thing for me to do back then (my alcoholism developed much later).

For myself, I was living alone when I got sober, but I avoided being around drinking (to the extent possible) for the first year. After that, it isn't a problem for me--though I don't enjoy events where drinking is the primary activity.