Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
skeenut

Quintuple Winner Here!

This is the thread I need.
I just a few minutes posted an introduction on the newbie forum.
I am a recovering alcoholic who is the child of unacknowledged alcoholic parents, both dead of natural causes. I had my last drunk on 10.25.11. I have a daughter who is seven years in recovery from heroin addiction. My son is normal.
The three of us staged an intervention for my wife of 35 years 10 days ago. My wife and I were daily drinkers for our entire relationship and were both high bottom drunks. I just stopped before her.
The intervention was difficult. My wife was in denial and extremely resentful and angry. But she agreed to rehab. The first week was detox and pretty uneventful. She was loaded on Librium just going along...Then she was transferred to rehab and SOBER kicked in. It has not been pretty. Denial. Anger. Resentment. Fear. Yikes. Her phone calls to me, (she's allowed one ten minute call Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday,) have been sullen, cold and controlled. She did not want to be there.
I've been worried about her call coming today and full of what if's. What if she wants to leave? What if she is still in denial? etc. Well, she used her Sunday ten minute call to contact my daughter who just called me. And my wife has had her moment of clarity. I don't know the details, but she's no longer angry at everyone for the intervention and minimizing her drinking and behavior. She wants to stay in rehab and do the work!
I couldn't be more thrilled! I know there is a boatload of work ahead, but the denial has been punctured. There has never been a more honest moment in our marriage. The potential now for recovery and growth is immense.
I am just full of gratitude.
More to come...
Jeff