Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bemyself

Jen, I'm glad you raised this topic. Yes, each of us has our story with not only own addictions but also our families and friends. Likewise, we each find our own 'season' in which we feel it's important - although decidedly not comfortable - to perhaps read those stories and reflect on our own family / friends dynamic.

For many of us - I include myself here - we are 'in' several camps, as it were. We're not only addicts of one kind or another ourselves, but are the adult children of alcoholics (which means we remember only too well what it was like growing up with an alcoholic parent and often too, various aunts or uncles). We may also be the siblings of an addict (my middle sister was a junkie for most of her adult life, but is 23 years clean now in her early 60s). We may also have our own children who are either well on their way to being addicts or are fully in addiction's grip.

And of course, we have been or still are, friends with other addicts in varying degrees; or - like me - seem to be the one still remaining as a struggling alcoholic, while those few remaining older friends either give up drinking altogether, or have the rare social drink or kind of teeter in the moderating zone. That describes each one of my three remaining old friends.

I too sometimes dip into F and F section, though not very often, for the reasons some describe. I think I have a vague fear - not strong, but it pops up occasionally - that I might suddenly see a story from someone who sounds like one of my daughters....you know, about ME. Yet, a part of me wishes I would see that. But my own adult kids are - as far as I can tell, given we're estranged - just doing the sort of 'la la la' thing about just giving up on me and / or not yet having realised that they have their own significant problems with incipient or active addiction, and therefore fall into both Alanon / ACOA AND active addict situations.

All I know for now is: I can't DO anything about them. I can only work on myself.