Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Smile Reading Friends & Family Threads: Eye-Opening!

Hi Newcomers:

I've been meaning to mention this for a while, and Dee, I hope this is ok to post about (I'm sure you'll set me straight, if not... Lol). I just wanted to mention that it has been enlightening and eye-opening for me to read through some of the stories in the Friends & Family section!

I joined SR back in 2011 and for some reason I didn't pay much attention to this section... well, this time around I have... and some of the stories are absolutely heart rending. I have been brought to tears reading some of the posts. It has helped me so much to read from these different points of view.

I married just a year and a half ago... we'll have two years in November. And so now that I am a wife, and it's not just me... things are different Lol, that's an understatement. But I can't convey enough how much it has helped to read spouses, children, parents, siblings and friends talk about the devastation that their loved ones' alcoholism and drug addiction has had on their lives. It makes me never want to drink again. Such a powerful deterrent.

It just helps so much to see that we do not live in a vacuum, no person is an island, you know... I've let my husband read some of the stories and it's helped him a lot I think to see that what he was experiencing with me wasn't some isolated thing... that others do go through similar things. And that people can and do change, people do get help, and do get sober.

Anyway, I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU to the universe and to all who come on here and share your stories... they really do help!