View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Newimage

Thank you so much for your replies- they are helping me get my thoughts in order.

My daughter was incarcerated for her drug related crimes (credit card theft, check forgery, burglary) for a year. She bonded out and came to stay with me for about a month before her sentencing. During that time, she used, refused to help around the house, refused to seek treatment for her addiction and some minor medical issues, and wreaked havoc at my job for trying to acquire pain meds after some dental work.

I attended her sentencing in January. Her father was one of her victims. The state attorney's office, the prosecutors, were nice enough to be in contact with me about her case since she was living with me at the time. The judge sentenced her to community control (house arrest) for two years followed by 3 years of drug offender probation. With community control, there has to be a home to go to. Her father was not an option. The judge called me to speak and I said in court that based on her behavior over the month she lived with me and the fact that she was using, and that I have another daughter at home who was not willing to have her life disrupted further, I could not allow her to live with me either. I told the judge that I would consider giving her a home if she successfully completed a drug rehab program. The judge ordered the Bridge, and my daughter went back to jail for a month until a bed opened up at the rehab.

So, yes, this is a DOC program, but the judge was originally going to release her to community control if she had had a place to live because she had served her sentence. I guess this, then, is a part of her sentence but it was only ordered because she had nowhere to go. My understanding is that if she doesn't complete the program, she will technically violate and be taken back to jail or prison.

I guess I am glad at this point that someone is asking about her medical history. This has not been done before. In court, I mentioned it to the judge and told the judge I thought she needed further evaluation, but the judge had only this facility as an option as I had not made any arrangements otherwise. And to be honest, I didn't think a 30 day program would be sufficient. It was a relief when she was sent to the Bridge that I knew the program was a 6 to 8 month deal.

Still anxious about going and the whole thing.