Thread: interventions?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Heartsmiles

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Sure. The whole thing was a fall-out of a Step 11 thing I was working.

Longer story, but her sponsor completely freaked on her when she figured out that Mrs. Hammer had been lying to her.

Yep. All addicts lie. First they lie about the addiction, then they lie to cover the addiction. Finally the Knight of Mirrors (like in Don Quixote, Man of La Mancha) takes them down.

Not so quick there.

The rehab site totally botched the mental illness part. The rehab site was very incompetent. She is whacked now. Basically they took away her coping mechanism (the Eating Disorder) and put nothing in its place to deal with the mental illness behind it.

On the track things are on, we are likely to split up, and the kids fear and avoid her. Only one in the family who will have much to do with her is her mom who is a raging codependent, who does more harm than good.

Understood. On the opinion part. Not saying that for any or many or most it is not a great thing. Dunno, and all outside my scope. I am just saying that for us, there would have been more fight in that than healing. She has a terrible case of Texas-sized pride. In our case she had to beat herself down.

It is a serious mental health issue, and she has the knowledge and skills to get help, but will not. (MS in Social Work, works in rehab, herself).

She is sort of caught in a lying trap. Lies to her sponsor. Lies to the kids. Lies to her mom. Lies to the therapists. On and on. Was lying to me, but I quit taking the crap.

Chapter 5 of the Big Book says Rigorous Honesty is required. Dunno. Good Luck to her on that.

In the end her stuff is between her and God. May she find Him now. Not Mr. Hammer's (me) problem. I have three kids to look out for, and none of them are named Mrs. Hammer.
Mr. Hammer, very well said!
Honestly, I know nothing about the steps. I should, in fact, SO .. I just googled Chapter 5, How It Works. I see now and I know now, I should, and I will read the whole book.. Why had I never thought of that before?
I admire you, for you are extrodanary.
I think most people who are dealing with a disruption such as you are, forget about the children. You are selfless and God speed my friend in breaking the cycle. I perceive you will.