Thread: interventions?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heartsmiles

I am familiar with Intervention process. My family had one for my brother. It is very emotional to say the least. It is pretty much just like the show " intervention"
My family all met with the intervention lady, she explained the process. We all had to write down things my brother had done personally to each of us that hurt us, scared us, anything like that ( no hear say what so ever) Had to be direct experience. Listening to my brothers wife was heart wrenching!
We had family meetings with the intervention lady, we all prepared letters to be read aloud in front of everyone. The day of, my dad tricked my brother and told him they were going to look at a job site but Surprise! He was going to an intervention.
I love my brother, looked up to him a lot.
I watched his every move while this happened. He was squirming in that metal chair. Fidgeting badly. I felt bad for him. Well, he sat there while we went around the room and read our letters aloud and after all was said..... He said " I do not have a problem drinking"
He would not agree to treatment, he did not go, never has gone and still thinks he has no problem.
I was about 14 years old then, now I'm 38 and he is killing himself with the drinking.

I don't know if you watch Intervention on tv, but that is how it plays out.
It's up to your boyfriend. He could say yes and how great that would be for him and all around him. It can not hurt to try.
The intervention ( if he sits through it) will let him know how everyone feels. If your going to set boundaries ( no money giving ... Etc ) this would be an ideal place for everyone to let him know what you all are going to do as a family and stick to it. Also gives the family a voice in coming together to get yourselves help as well.
It is a choice for him in regards if he wants to go to treatment or not. An intervention can not make anyone go to treatment against their will.
That's how it was for my family.... It was offered and he said no. End of story.
Hope this helps.