Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skr86

Boyfriend recently started methadone, behavior has changed, please help me

Hello! I'm brand new to this and hope I'm posting in the right place. I need some advice. I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years and up until the past few months things have been great. More than great. We never fought, we respected each other. I have never felt so truly loved by anybody in my life and I love him with all my heart. I knew he had issues with heroin addiction when we first got together and that was a challenge I was willing to face with him. A few months ago we started fighting like we have never fought before. Things really hit rock bottom and (thank god!), he decided it was time to get some help. He joined a methadone clinic 2 months ago and has been doing incredibly. The only problem is that we're still fighting. Not nearly as bad as before, but whenever I ask him anything about where he's been or if he's been using (I'm suspicious - the guy lied about these things a thousand times), he explodes and eventually says he wants to break up and other really hurtful things. I never thought he would treat me like this, I feel like he would rather throw me and our relationship in the garbage than try to work it out. Before, he used to be so sweet and caring towards me, and now I don't feel like he loves me anymore. It's breaking my heart because there isn't anything in the world I wouldn't do for him, but it seems that all of a sudden he's put up a wall that's impossible for me to break through. He says he's concentrating on himself right now, which is great, but what about us? Why would he rather break up than put ANY effort whatsoever into regaining my trust? Does he simply just not love me anymore or could this have anything to do with being newly sober? I'm completely heartbroken. I don't want to stay with somebody that's only pretending to care about me, or only cares when I'm being "good" and not asking questions but it's hard for me walk away when things are usually good between us and I'm clouded by my own emotions. If anybody has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!