Thread: Spouses
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ippochick

Originally Posted by Jesse75 View Post
Hi all, Day 13 here...
Since I quit, my wife has also stopped (funny, my quitting came right after a vacation in Vegas). She has been awesome, but I can tell she wants to drink. She was working late last night, and she's working today, and I'm sure she could use some "her" time with some wine. So on my way home yesterday I took a deep breath and bought her a bottle of wine. She said she won't drink in front of me but she's earned it, and I'm trying to be realistic.

My question is, how can I quit if she still drinks? I don't want it in the house but I don't think she should be punished because I have a problem. I'm just worried if she drinks ill resent it, because we've always been drinking buddies. Anyone else have a spouse who still drinks? Thanks.
yup, mine does. this week he's gone to the pub before me and had a couple of pints. i've then joined him for my blackcurrant and soda. we don't have alcohol in the house at all any more. it's important i think to feel safe in your home environment and know that when the cravings hit there's nothing there to trip you up.

have you asked your wife how she would feel about not having alcohol in the house? plus i would worry that stopping off to buy wine would tempt me into a 'little something' for me.

i am also on day 13. i am resolute in my sobriety because i know that even the smallest relapse for me is the end of everything i love and hold dear.

be kind to yourself. how will you feel knowing your wife is in another room/staying up late and drinking?

be well.