View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Assuming you're in the UK UK () there is a lot of free help available for addictions. If you do a google search of alcohol/addiction agencies in your area you should get an idea of what's around. Most of these places you can self refer to and use them sort of like an outpatient treatment alternative to rehab. They usually have doctors on staff and run group meetings as well as one on one support.

It is also worthwhile checking out all the different recovery methods too, AA, AVRT, SMART... and reading other people's stories. Try and find something which resonates with you. There are a few different approaches to recovery with key differences so it helps to find what will suit you. Some people quit drinking and don't seem to struggle and others of us need more support and help with the psychological part of the addiction. I was the latter sort. I am 31 and learning how to live like a 'normal' person but it takes time and effort and determination. I have been to AA meetings and SMART meetings and read a ton of books on alcoholism. I have found the support I have got here to be vital in my ability to stop drinking and stay stopped. I hope you find it useful too