View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FreddyBear

Hi UK123,

Welcome to SR! We have a lot in common. I'm 31 and own my own internet based business for over 8 years. Also work from home and communicate with my employees remotely. Working at home makes it way too easy to drink near the PC and just "relax". Started in 2002 with 2-3 big cans (0.5L) of lager a day 1-2 times a week and progressed to 10-14 cans everyday. And this is not a light **** beer but a strong one - over 5.5% alc.

It seems weird but the more successful my business was, the more automated the income became and it allowed me to spend every evening (and heck, the days!) getting drunk. I used mornings to answer all work related emails and give tasks to employees. Then at noon I felt I "deserved" my beer and went to a shop. This life made me lonely, isolated and depressed, and I don't want to live like that anymore. And you should not!

Sobriety, especially early, will be hard. For me it is unmasked loneliness and social anxiety. But we have to finally address our underlying problems and not postpone it. You are 40, obviously intelligent and in your prime male age. Get out of home, join the gym, make your day structured. This small steps helps me now.