View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
LosingmyMisery
Today's Muse

Firstly, to get and stay sober you have to really want it and work at it. You have to examine the reasons why we drink in the first place. We have to face our fears and insecurities. We have to rid ourselves of our anger and resentments and push ourselves beyond our comfort zones and persue new territories we would never consider before. We have to address our characters flaws and open our minds to new ways of thinking.

I learned to do this in AA. Again, the only gig around. This is where I was informed and guided through the process. I stayed in AA for 2 years then left for various reasons. I have been sober without AA for 7 years. 9 years and the majority of it without AA. However, I still use the foundation and the process of the program in my daily practice. Not a day goes by where I don't think and reflect back on where I was and how far I have come. I have worked too hard to get back what I lost. Losing all that for a drink, no way.

I've overcome many challenges, sober. I used to think I needed booze for strength, but I was so wrong. I was so weak while drinking. I had zero coping skills. I am stronger without it, tenfold. I don't need booze in the slightest. I accept that I can't drink and I handle what life has to bring me, sober.

Everyday I remind myself I'm only one bad decision away from landing at the bottom. The beast of addiction only slumbers. Once we feed it, it emerges with a vengence. To play it safe, I never feed it.

The best I can add is never lose sight of what we can accomplish and the truth. The truth being we can never drink again. If we fool ourselves into believe othewise, chaos will ensue in a very short time.

So, yes, I believe people can stay sober without AA, but I know I need to work on my sobriety daily.