View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
john44

Originally Posted by TDInstall View Post
Yeah, I went to one AA meeting. Was totally bizarre, cultish and full of people I wanted nothing at all to do with. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near those kind of people before my problem with alcohol escalated, and now that I am sober and have got my life back, I see no reason why I would suddenly want to associate with people like that.

And yeah, I know, it works for some people, etc.

Another thing; I honestly don't see what AA can offer better than what you can find online, in far greater detail, now that the whole world is involved in social networking. This very website is testament to that.

Not hating on AA at all, but that is my experience and opinion.
If your opinion is based on one experience, it's not a real fair shake. And this is from a person who has a lot of criticisms toward some AA members and their attitudes. I've been to many different meetings and some have indeed been cultish. Some AAers seem to take the concept of powerlessness to levels never intended by the founders of the program. I've seen some very sick people in some of "the rooms". I've also met many very caring, vibrant people who have recovered fully from this disease. These are the people of whom I can say "I want what they have".