View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

I just met another sober person the other day, had a talk over coffee about our recovery. She (8yrs) was surprised I could be 2.5 years sober without AA or meetings. When asked what I do, I hadn't much of a response, but after thinking about it...

There's not a lot I was doing in AA that I'm not doing now. Accept powerlessness over my addiction? Check. I have a spiritual life. I keep tabs on my personal ethics, make amends to keep myself humble and in relations. There's not the rigor of step work or the fellowship, of course, so it's only approximate.

I also went through Dialectical Behavioral Therapy years ago. Did that for mental health reasons, but DBT is often used with persons with addiction problems. It's also a great help when I need help in sobriety.

I think AA is a wonderful program; I'm glad for it and my time in it. Just wasn't something that was best to carry me through personally in the long run. Above all I agree with everyone who's said that the best recovery program is the one that keeps you sober.