View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Aeryn

With all due respect to the others that posted, there is nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable going to a meeting that takes place in a church. I mean this with no offense to anyone religious posting in this thread but it's very easy to feel comfortable in a church and feel it's not a religious environment when you are religious. For me, I'm not only agnostic but my FOO used church against me to control and emotionally abuse me - so no I do not feel comfortable in a church, yes I feel a church makes things feel religious and no there is nothing wrong with me feeling that way.

The good news is there are plenty of meetings not in churches - you just have to look, I attend meetings in recovery centers, hospitals and community rooms. Yes...they are somewhat religious (yes HP is another word for God in my view) - HOWEVER, you can keep looking and eventually you'll find one with less religious focus - heck, for me I felt uncomfortable in meetings with older women...guess what I found a meeting that's mostly guys.

I guess what I'm saying is no it's not perfect and no a church isn't a place everyone feels comfortable (and there is nothing wrong with that)...BUT you can find a meeting that works for you...especially in Denver - it's big enough that I bet there is something...try the downtown maybe or the trendy city areas, that will get you out of the conservative zone maybe.