View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jstar

stick with the winners

"Stick with the winners"...I've been told this several times from AA people I've talked to. I've heard it and dismissed it so many times because part of me wants to believe everyone is good deep down and those who are the most needy probably just need a friend. I just instantly befriend almost everyone I meet.

The problem with this instant acceptance of "everyone" is leaving me feeling used, drained, taken advantage of... and I'm starting to feel resentful of certain people I've allowed to get closer to me. People I've (I'm sure) shared too much personal information with because I have this desire for everyone to like me...or I'm just lonely and am looking for friends and am taking whoever is around to hang out with, without using any discernment.

People also say that just because some people are in recovery/AA doesn't make them "well" or "good". There are still the users and manipulators just like in the world.

So how do you "stick with the winners" and not get bogged down by the others?

I hope this doesn't come across wrong, I'm not saying I'm better than the others, just trying to figure out what is the criteria of a "winner" in recovery/AA? I guess it reminds me of being a kid when my mom used to tell me "you are who you surround yourself with".

I know you'll all have great advice here I'm sure