Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I get what you're saying. But here's the thing--it's really like any other thing you wish for. Sure, I hope your son recovers to the point where he will want to make things right with you. And maybe by the time he gets there, you will feel safe enough to discuss it with him.

Look at it this way. Even if you were to ask him for that right now, you wouldn't get it, right? So it's something that will come in time, if it comes at all.

Let me tell you something that MIGHT ease your mom's heart a bit. The other night I went out to dinner with a former boss of mine, who also happened to be my closest friend in the office when we both worked there (she's about 10 years or so older than I am). Back when we worked together, she was absolutely heartbroken because her two oldest boys had definitively cut her out of their lives. She'd had a horrible divorce from an awful man--so far as I know there were no substance abuse issues, but he was a horrible, terrible person by all accounts. She was raising her youngest son, who was then a young teen. The father had completely turned the older boys (then in their 20s) against their mother. I remember her crying over it in the office on several occasions.

Today, she has wonderful, close relationships with all of her boys--including the older ones. She is included in their lives and families, she babysits their kids and has wonderful relationships with their wives, too.

It took time, it took growing up, it took seeing what the truth is.

So eventually your boys may very well come around, too. It's never hopeless. And if they are mature enough, and recovered enough, they may be more than grateful for a chance to put things right with you, regardless of whether it is a formal recovery step or not.