View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by nonsensical
As I understand it, you are 7 years sober. Did you operate the same way when you were 7 days sober?
Well, technically I was still in the psyche ward at 7 days, so my options for parties full of hot people were significantly limited. We tried though...hiked my hospital gown up a little and combed out my hair once they took the restraints off.

To answer your question, once the switched flipped, nothing could switch it back. When I got home, I immediately went back to the things I enjoyed...live music, dancing, friends over, friends out, met a guy on a Harley at a stop light and began dating him (lasted a year, not bad right?)... To be honest, the knowledge that I was completely done and it was OVER for good gave me a sense of freedom I had never known. Not only did I go to parties, I was usually the life of the party. It was not something I built up to...my life no longer involved alcohol or drugs. Period. No matter what. No f*cking matter what. For the record, the times my AV became the loudest or craftiest were not in times of extroversion....quite the opposite for me. So as I said before "know thyself...or more aptly, know thy AV" and know it well. Some things I simply grew bored of over the years...obnoxious drunks, no thanks. But I like having fun and I enjoy social situations, a great deal don't involve alcohol at all, but sometimes people are drinking. That's got zero to do with me.

Again...let me be clear. I am NOT saying this is the way to be, or this is "right" or this is what everyone "should" do...I'm simply sharing my experience. Obviously if one is not able to identify and separate then I would advise reading RR again and again, forgoing parties and everything else.