View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi Jelli-
In my opinion... as to "other drugs".... Once I really quit drinking I no longer wanted the feeling of "high" in any way. My first attempt at "sobriety from alcohol" I was fighting myself everyday not to take a drink. My beast was loud, condescending and had me pretty well convinced it was in control and I was bound to relapse.... I did after 36 days. And it all started with a xanax.
I take xanax for panic attacks. For over 2 and a half years I took them and another benzo daily as prescribed (5 mgs total per day). I finally got free of most of the benzos (which I loved A LOT back then) after a 6 month "taper". Anyway, long story short after 36 days of absolute miserable "sobriety" I gave in and took a xanax to "get out of my head". After I took it my thinking was very different. I thought well now I am pretty relaxed why not have a glass of wine......
I live in a place where weed is legal. Lots of people smoke pot who don't use "other drugs" (alcohol, cocaine etc... whatever their DOC was) and they are quite happy with that. So, idk but, this time around I just like being "in my head" fully. When I have had to take xanax I no longer like the way it makes me feel. I am so glad for this.
Just my experience. I also set a "quit date". Scheduled it for the day after the Superbowl and like I said I made it 36 days. Once i chose to drink again I was done. The reward of a drink was not worth it anymore... I knew I was done not bc drinking was fun and I was "giving up something" but, I was done bc I no longer wished to do that to myself. I was not "giving up anything".
So, I feel like if you want to quit H but smoke pot or have a beer here and there... do it. See if it works for you. If it doesn't then don't do it again. GL--- Jess