View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MeSoSober

Originally Posted by GottaChange82 View Post
I dont drink everyday so my wife just thinks I have self control issues. I cant make her understand that I cant even have a single drink because that drink will most indefinitely lead to me getting black out drunk and doing something stupid.
Maybe you could print out an article from a reputable source that explains that alcoholism is really not about drinking frequency but about your reaction to alcohol and what happens on those occasions when you do drink. This might help change her current view that because you don't drink every day, you don't have a problem. Here's one:

"Alcoholism is NOT defined by what you drink, when you drink it, or even how much you drink. It’s the EFFECTS of your drinking that define a problem. If your drinking is causing problems in your home or work life, you have a drinking problem—whether you drink daily or only on the weekends, down shots of tequila or stick to wine, drink three bottles of beers a day or three bottles of whiskey."

Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse: Signs, Symptoms, and Help for Alcoholism and Alcohol Use Problems

Sounds like she just isn't very well-informed about what alcoholism is and isn't, which makes this an opportunity to help her better understand your problem. Good luck to you!