View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sojourner

I second English Garden's post. I too found my local NarAnon meeting to stray from the traditions. One meeting had other 12-step literature and events. They did bring in speakers for our closed meetings. One NarAnon I went to allowed the facility where they met to not charge them any rent, so in gratitude they would give that facility a donation for one of their charities. Unfortunately, I questioned that which essentially ended my ability to be part of that group because they did not like my interfering with what had worked for them for years.

Bringing that up in a group conscience is a good idea. The best that can happen is that the group will get serious about those traditions and concepts - as well as you will have had the experience of learning how to stand up for the right thing in a mature way. The worst that can happen is the group will ostracize you (it's pretty subtle, but you can sense it). But that will not change the fact that you will have had the positive experience of learning how to stand up for the right thing in a mature way.

Let us know how it goes....