View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MiSoberbio

When I first started going to Nar-Anon, I thought some of the "rules" were just silly or overly-controlling; then, with time, I began to see the wisdom of the collective experience and began to understand how the traditions work together to create a safe place of (potential) recovery for its members.

I'm a pretty unconventional guy, but when it comes to my Nar-Anon group I now like things "by the book" – I would say that this is something to discuss in a meeting of group conscience (that what it's called in Argentina -- I'm not sure what it is in the States). There is a responsibility that the group has to itself, as a unit, to maintain its purpose and not turn into something else. Beyond his self-aggrandizing, a speaker who basically evangelizes substance addiction recovery isn't someone who *should* be speaking at a Nar-Anon group, in my opinion. That information might be important to many members, but it's not what Nar-Anon is about and only helps to put the focus on "the other" and not on oneself.