View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
So what if someone was curious and they actually made an appointment to talk to the addiction doctor about the program he offers? If they have the money, then it is their choice.
It is absolutely their choice, and its their responsibility to research which programs they find credible, to research all their options, but unfortunately the reality often is that the loved ones of the addicted have been living in crisis mode for a long time and are desperate for answers, for help, for some relief....they are vulnerable. A Nar-anon meeting is not a place for presenting recovery options for the addicted, there are other venues for that if that's what one is seeking, but Nar-anon is not that place. Newcomers hearing that doctor speak at that meeting could certainly easily assume that Nar-anon endorses his practice. Why wouldn't they? He's speaking at the meeting. The Newcomer is not going to be well versed enough (or at all) on the traditions to understand that he/She must listen critically and that Nar-anon does not in fact endorse the doc, but they just had him as a guest speaker at the meeting (big head scratcher there anyway)...so yes, it is up to the group as a whole to ensure that the meeting is a neutral place for newcomers.

When my son was diagnosed with autism, I would have gladly cut off both my arms and legs if an "expert" told me it would help my son. Desperation for those we love can cloud our judgement, and unfortunately there are those who will prey on that.

Legna, for what my opinion is worth, being perturbed is an appropriate feeling to experience in this case. Being perturbed can drive us to take positive action toward solving a problem. Xo