View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

Nar-Anon in my town does not follow the close guidelines/suggestions carefully crafted by the Al-Anon Family Groups World Service office. In my attendance at the local Nar-Anon I, too, was surprised by the handling of the meetings and by what seemed to be inexperience or lack of education about meeting format, including the 12 Step traditions I always relied on: no outside professionals presenting to the group, no outside materials being brought in (this Nar-Anon group wanted to show a film about addiction which a member thought was good). One member ended a meeting with the reciting of the entire Serenity Prayer which, after the first four lines, becomes no longer just spiritual but concretely Christian.

I watched many diversions like this during the 6 months I attended. I asked myself if I wanted to take the responsibility to ask the group about a business meeting to discuss format, guidelines, etc. I decided I did not. The group had been meeting for 10 years and I'd been there a few months and likely would not become a longtime member of the group. I decided to take what helped me from the meetings, and leave the outcome of the group's format to the Higher Power of the group.

That was my own solution, legna, which may not work for you. I no longer attend the meeting, and part of the reason was, in fact, that I missed the emotional safety of the Al-Anon format, which protects members from outside influences, counselors making pitches, and specific religious tenets.